Wednesday, April 2, 2008

New Books

I purchased two books at the quilt show -- Portable Patchwork and Quilts for Rosie.

The Portable Patchwork book gives tips and techniques for taking patchwork with you (hand piecing) and it also gives tips on how to then machine piece those blocks once you have them hand pieced. I thought it would be a good addition to the library.





Quilts for Rosie is a book on paper piecing blocks from the 1940's and also has a brief history of women in WWII. This book intrigued me because my MIL was a Riveter during WWII and had paperwork showing that she was a member of the Rosie the Riveter organization. I say 'had' as DH believes she has thrown away all of that 'stuff' -- ugh! As a history lover, I am hoping that she has not thrown it away as it is an important part of our family history.

My MIL actually wanted to join the Armed Forces but her mother would not sign the necessary papers allowing her to enlist. So instead she became a riveter in order to help the war effort. I am looking forward to having a nice conversation with her in the near future in order to capture her experiences during this time.

1 comment:

PiecefulChaos said...

I can't wait to take a look at these!